Friday, March 13, 2009

Daily Topic 3/13/09

Since becoming a paranormal investigator what is the one thing that has surprised you the most about this field?


Dave: This was a tough question for me. Not because I haven't been surprised during my time investigating the paranormal, but choosing the one thing that stands out above all other surprises was difficult to isolate.

My expectations that we wouldn't ever obtain evidence has been pleasantly surprising. While video evidence has been fleeting, the volumes of EVP evidence has been outstanding. While I expected to possibly log one, or two actual EVPs as some televised investigations obtain, we exceed 20 (+) class B, or better EVPs on every case.

The professionalism of the paranormal groups I have researched has been an unpleasant surprise. While there are good groups out there, they are few and far between. We deal with clients whose lives are being adversely affected by what they are experiencing. To think that groups with questionable; character, methods and mentality are responsible for improving the lives of their clients, scares me.

But if I had to choose the one thing that has had the most impact in my life since I entered into this field, it would be this. That the communication we receive from entities that are no longer in the physical provide, to me at least, proof that the soul does indeed survive death. I believe that the promises made to us in the Bible of everlasting life continue to be proven through these communications. I hope as other researches do that one day we will perfect the ability to have two-way communication with the spirit world and through that, a better idea of what lies in store for us in all our futures.


Jake: Since joining PPS in October, I've been involved in a really productive investigation in Pasadena as well as a very long 21-hour investigation in Towson. I think two things have really surprised me so far.

First, investigating can be horribly uneventful, but never boring. Much of what is found during investigations comes in the form of an EVP, so physically hearing or seeing evidence is rare, and is usually only uncovered during the analysis, days and sometimes weeks later. But it's never dull ... when you're not actually in the process of investigating, you have the opportunity to run the tech center and watch the live video feeds as well as audio. You absolutely get a different perspective on the things that go bump in the night when you're running tech.

Secondly, the level of professionalism and the lengths that PPS is willing to go to in efforts to debunk evidence as opposed to simply accepting it without discussion has surprised me. Nobody on our team hears a noise during investigation and says, "Did you hear that ghost?" We will recreate instances and then thoroughly analyze it during analysis (as we did just last weekend) before we ever introduce it to the client.


Rex: I guess the biggest surprise for me is how accustomed to evp I have become. I remember the first time I heard a voice on my recorder, I got chills and this rush of excitement. Now when I go back to listen to that recording I kind of think "that sucks." It takes a lot more to impress me now but what really surprises me is that this is a voice from beyond and it doesn't phase me at all.